Pics of Katy

This is how it all started, I have friends that are supportive and friends that are competitive. At times I would think why can't we just do these events for fun? It was never like that with this group of gals, especially for Subrina. But the day we found out that Katy was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer we all became the supportive kind. It was a blow to us, we thought no way this could be happening. It's something we hear about, not live through. It's been a year and a half since Katy's diagnosis and we're left with her memories. But I know one thing Katy would be proud of, and that's the fact that we've all stayed friends and have made new ones along the way. Our mission is simple, it's to help spread awareness for early detection of Ovarian cancer. All of our friends will be doing events, runs, cycling, wine tasting, beerfests (hey competition is competition!) and along the way we'll be spreading the word.Stay tuned for what stories we learn along the way! Katy was an amazing, inspiring person who truely lived life to the fullest. We love and miss you much.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Eating Raw..feeling raw

Let me start by saying.. I really do love my life, I like my new job, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. The people in my life bring me so much joy.

However, the past few months have been harder than I had admitted to.. I tended to suppress my feelings by drinking and eating or whatever I felt like. I think I was more vulnerable than I realized, more "needy" than I wanted to be. And to be honest I'm not very proud of some of the things I did. I'll just leave it at that..


So I wanted to cleanse myself both emotionally and physically. I was talking to a good friend of mine who is a raw vegan. Yep only raw fruits and vegetables.. hard right? Nope, not at all, at least not the eating part.. the feeling part was a whole different story. It's weird when you don't have "comfort" food or alcohol to run to when you're feeling down, something to numb you to "get you through" that rough patch.


I learned some things in those 13 days.. (random number of days that I did it before going to Omaha) I learned that I had so things that were blocking me from moving on, things maybe I knew but didn't want to admit. So I challenged myself to work through it and continue to do so every day.

Oh yeah now I'm a vegetarian.. Except for sushi, but really the whole experience of eating sushi is more spiritual than a meal right? So this is how I feel today.. who knows what tomorrow will bring??

1 comment: